Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Facing The Fire

Last Friday I was invited by Pas. Thaddeus Lee to preach in New Covenant Assembly's (Sri Petaling) home school chapel service. This would make it the second time that I have been there. Last year when I was there my wife was still pregnant and I showed the ultra sound scan of the now 1 year old Mikayla. Last year I spoke to them on disciplines in "First Things First". Chris was with me the last time and gave a short testimonial. This time round I decided to talk about peer pressure. Joash and Jason came along to support me and Jason even gave a testimonial on how he was influenced by negative peer pressure.

All in, it was a good day. Joash, Jason and I enjoyed the trip there, the compulsory mamak session with Pas. Thaddeus, and getting to know some new friends. Some of the students were supposed to add me on Garena but so far none of them have added me. But the main highlight of the day was of course my message to the students. I was worried I might do a lousy job as I not been getting any practice preaching recently. On top of that I was also to be preaching in Foursquare Gospel Church, USJ (FGC) the following Sunday (15th February). I worked very hard for this session and it turned out very well, good enough that Joash even asked me for the sermon notes and powerpoint so that he could use it in his own youth service the following day. This session certainly reminded me of my passion to share God's word with young people and also served to boost my confidence for the following Sunday's gig in FGC. Now I am looking forward to next Sunday's gig. God help me speak your words.

For thoes interested here are the points that I touched on during my peer pressure talk:

"Facing the Fire"
Bible text: Daniel 3:16-18

1. Surround myself with support (verse 16)

  • Ecc 4:12 - Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

2. Set my trust in God (verse 17)

  • Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

3. Stick to what's right (verse 18)

  • Acts 5:28 - Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men!

5 comments:

Stephen Lim said...

I like your last point - Stick to what's right.

It is so true we have to trust God rather than men. “Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.” (Eph 4:14)

The closer we get to God, the more we begin to understand and discern what is right and what is wrong and what is imperative.

nothing of interest here said...

Simple but straight to the point. Kudos.

Lemuel Yee Ngan Foong said...

I intentionally left out the Bible text from my post. I was hoping that it will cause my readers to open up their Bibles... Hope it worked.

Thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

A chip off the old block :)

Preacher man. I have to listen to your sermon 'officially'. Guess i have to catch you in another church, you know what i mean.

Looking forward to it.

Lemuel Yee Ngan Foong said...

Thank you all for being so kind, you guys have not even heard me preach! Your support encourages me.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be opportunities. The world is a small place. I hope to be able to bless just as I have been blessed.